1. Home
  2. Lifestyle
  3. Fashion
  4. Dolce and Gabbana Had To Call off The Show After The Videos Got Viral

Dolce and Gabbana Had To Call off The Show After The Videos Got Viral

in Fashion
Dolce and Gabbana Had To Call off The Show After The Videos Got Viral

According to a report an Italian fashion house Dolce and Gabbana after being indicted of discrimination in its promotion for the event revoked a fashion which was expected to happen in Shanghai.

Three videos in the sequence were posted by the reputed brand on Instagram and Twitter. The video illustrated a Chinese woman where she was being educated with the etiquettes of using chopsticks, unfortunately, such videos by the most reputed and well-known brand created indignation after getting viral on social media, people criticized the brand and said that it condemned the fashion tag of civilizing inconsiderateness and racial discrimination. Although the purpose of making and posting those videos was to promote the forthcoming show named “The Great Show”, it was a kind of catwalk event that meant to apprehend at Expo Center of Shanghai, on Wednesday.

But now the show has been revoked, also, the expected guests have to be well-versed that the show will not be proceeding anymore. A report on China Daily states that the icons together with Zhang Ziyi, Li Binging and Wang Junkai had vacated their presence from the show before it was heaved and said Dolce & Gabbana’s Weibo account broke the news of its termination.

The title of the videos was, “Eating With Chopsticks,” in which a woman was eating show large platters of pizza, spaghetti, and a giant Italian cannolo pastry, where a male voiceover advising her how to carry out.

So many different reactions came into the view, few people found it offensive enough that they couldn’t stop themselves and aggressively reacted on the content of the video; an individual wrote “Orientalism is articulated very overtly in this trailer. It’s very odious to represent all Chinese people in such a clichéd way.” Another statement came into the sight “This is so brainless and ethnically insensible! Take down this video at once D&G!” and a third statement that came into view was: “This is racist, take it back.”

The news website of China Jing Daily stated that the all of the three trailers have been eradicated from the social group Weibo, although the CNBC couldn’t verify this report. But on the other hand Jing Daily stated that “Boycott Dolce” had been cited for more than 18,000 times on Weibo.

This won’t be wide of the mark to say that it is not the first time the fashion house has magnetized the debate. Even In the year 2015, the designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana uttered: “We resist gay espousals. The only family is the conventional one,” catching the attention by protesting outside of their London store.

According to the records of the brand on its website, the well-known brand’s outlets are expanded in 25 cities of China. Chinese extravagance shoppers account for over 500 billion yuan ($72 billion) in twelve-monthly spending, representing approximately a third of the international lavish market, according to a 2017 McKinsey report.

Dolce and Gabbana decided not to counter to CNBC’s appeal for their remarks at the time of publication.

Menu